THE BLUEMONT FAIR IS SPONSORED BY THE BLUEMONT CITIZENS ASSOCIATION. Proceeds are used to fund street lighting, local student scholarships, community beautification, historic building improvements within the village, and support of local service organizations.
THE BLUEMONT CITIZENS ASSOCIATION ENCOURAGES EVERYONE TO VISIT THE BLUEMONT GENERAL STORE, GREAT COUNTRY FARM, BLUEMONT VINEYARD, IRON GATE ANTIQUES & RESTORATION, HAIRCUTS BY ROSEMARY, AND THE BLUEMONT MILL & TRAIN STATION.
The 45h Annual Bluemont Fair is dedicated to the memory of Zora “Mac” Brownell. The Brownell’s were owners of Whitehall Manor when the first Bluemont Fair was held in October, 1972. Mac and friend, Ivy Cochran, volunteered to hold a turkey dinner at Whitehall as part of the Fair. Tickets were sold for the dinner as part of the fundraising efforts. For three consecutive years, Mac hosted the turkey dinner with all the trimmings in the ballroom at Whitehall. All the food was home cooked and teenage girls from Bluemont served as waitresses in period costumes that were handmade by local citizens, such as Roberta Underwood Mac was named the “Washingtonian of the Year” in 1989 by the Washingtonian Magazine and called “Loudoun County’s Natural Resource.” Mac passed away in March, 2014, at the age of 94, and is survived by her husband, Jim, 3 sons, and numerous grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. The dairy cow featured on the sleeve of the Fair T-shirts is in honor of the Brownell family who operated one of the last Dairy Farms in Loudoun County.
In 1769, the land on which our village lies was conveyed to John Augustine Washington, half-brother of George Washington, from George Carter who had received a land patent from Lord Fairfax. Washington, in turn, conveyed 624 acres to Edward Snickers. Snickers sold to Richard Wistar of Philadelphia in 1777, and Wistar sold to William Clayton, whose son, Amos Clayton, built splendid Clayton Hall at the side of the Snickersville Turnpike in 1797.
In 1807, when Snickers operated a ferry across the Shenandoah River, the area was called Snickers Gap. The settlement became known as Snickersville as an act of the Virginia General Assembly in 1826. In 1853, Snickersville contained “fifteen dwelling houses, one house of public worship, one common school, one Masonic hall, two factories, one tailor, one wagon maker, three blacksmiths, and one copper and tin plate worker.”
When the Civil War descended, a skirmish occurred right in the village when the Yankees, in search of some good home cooking, met up with a Confederate band. Then, in 1900, the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad extended its service to Snickersville. As part of its promotion of the town as a vacation resort at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the railroad initiated a name-change to Bluemont, capitalizing on the cool ridges away from the Washington heat.
Between 1900 and 1905, the E.E. Lake Store was built to accommodate an ice cream parlor, a general store, a barber shop, the post office, and a meeting and dance hall upstairs. Buggy rides transported visitors to Bear’s Den to view the valley. Drummers took meals at Mrs. Weadon’s: fried chicken, country ham, fresh vegetables, hot rolls, pies, buttermilk or sweet milk—all for 50 cents.
The Bluemont Citizens Association was organized in 1955 and the Fair in 1969 to celebrate these eras of our history. An industrious, innovative people, Bluemonters appreciate the contributions of those who found life close to idyllic here at the foot of the Blue Ridge.
Jean Herron Smith’s Snickersville, the Biography of a Village